- Ph.D. in Music Technology, New York University, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Social Sciences, 2018.
- Dissertation: Adaptation of Listeners’ Respiration to Heard Music
- Committee Chair: M. Mary Farbood.
- M.A. in Music Technology, McGill University, 2011.
- Thesis: Quantifying Audience Responses to Music: methods for analyzing collections of emotional experience time series.
- Supervisor: Stephen McAdams.
- B. Sc. in Mathematics, Honours 2008, McGill University, Faculty of Science.
- B. Mus. in Music Theory, Honours 2008, McGill University, Schulich School of Music.
Grants & Fellowships
- Postgraduate Doctoral Scholarship from the National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), 2012
- Competitive national council funding, granted according to research proposal and portfolio.
- $20 000 CAD annual stipend for full time study for three years
- Steinhardt Doctoral Fellowship, 2011
- Funding granted to only one successful applicant to Music Technology at NYU per year.
- $23 000 USD annual stipend for full time study for four years.
- NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Award, 2008
- Competitive funding for undergraduate students in science to worth with an active scholar
- $5700 CAD for four months of full time research.
Teaching & Advising
- Instructor, Psychology of Music 2014, 2016. Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, Steinhardt School of Music, NYU
- Instructor of record for graduate-level seminar on Psychology of music for three sessions.
- Designed course content and evaluation for normal semester course and intensive summer session
- Incorporated scientific practices such as peer review and experiment interface coding.
- Teaching Assistant, Psychology of Music, 2013 Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, Steinhardt School of Music, NYU
- Student advisement for class projects and assignments.
- Consulting: Experimental design and data analysis, 2011-2018
- On referral from faculty supervisors, advised graduate students in music technology on research involving human participants.
- Advising: Research Mentor 2014-2015
- Coached a High School student through the development, execution, and analysis of a project involving continuous ratings of liking and familiarity with music.
- Advising: SSMU Academic Policy Researchers, 2006-2007
- Hired and advised undergraduate students to research academic policy issues for McGill University’s undergraduate students’ society (SSMU) in 4 to 12 month projects. Research methods included online surveys, comparison of government policies, analysis of census data, and investigation of historical records.
Supervised Research Training
- CHASE Summer School on The Dynamics of Music and Language (2014) University of California (Merced) and the Center for Human Adaptive Systems and Environments
- Participated in cross-disciplinary summer school featuring a week of lectures and discussions with academics and a week of collaborative research with other graduate students.
- Research Assistant in Music Perception and Cognition Lab (2007-2011), Schulich School of Music, McGill University, Supervisor, S. McAdams.
- Studied and developed tools to analyse continuous responses to music.
Helped run large scale audience experiments
- Studied and developed tools to analyse continuous responses to music.
- NSERC Undergraduate Science Research Assistant, Mathematics and Statistics, Science Faculty, McGill University, Supervisor: T. Humphries.
- Analyzed and modelled dynamics of state-dependent differential delay equations. Lay foundation for subsequent publication with analytic work and new code libraries.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Upham, F. & McAdams, S. (2018) Activity Analysis and Coordination in Continuous Responses to Music. Music Perception. 35(3), 253-294. (pdf)
- Farbood, M. M., & Upham, F. (2013). Interpreting expressive performance through listener judgments of musical tension. Frontiers in psychology, 4:998.
- Humphries, A. R., DeMasi, O., Magpantay, F. M., & Upham, F. (2012). Dynamics of a delay differential equation with multiple state dependent delays. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems A.
- Knight, T., Upham, F., & Fujinaga, I. (2011). The potential for automatic assessment of trumpet tone quality. In ISMIR (pp. 573-578).
International Conference Presentations
- Vuvan, D.T. , Baker, DJ, Kragness, H, Loui, P, Upham, F, & Slevc, R. (2019) Open Science Symposium. 2019 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, New York, NY, (Symposium Talk)
- Upham, F, Egermann, H, & McAdams, SA. (2018). The Audience’s Breath: Collective Respiratory Coordination in Response to Music, 15th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition, Montreal, CA (Long Talk)
- Upham, F. (2018). Demo: Activity Analysis on Psychophysiological Measurements of Responses to Music,15th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition, Montreal, CA (Short Talk)
- Upham, F. (2018). Felt It My Way: Idiosyncratic Psychophysiological Responses to Recorded Music, 15th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition, Montreal, CA (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2017). The extra(ordinary) sex lives of fanfiction readers, Fan Studies Network Conference 2017. University of Huddersfeild, Huddersfeild, UK (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2016). Breathing in Music: Measuring and Marking Time, Making Time in Music. Oxford, UK (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2016). Deviations in Quiet Breathing during Music Listening,14th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition, San Fransisco, CA (Poster)
- McAdams, S. A. & Upham, F. (2015). Effects of previous knowledge about a piece of music on continuous ratings of musical resemblance. 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Talk)
- McFee, B. & Upham, F. (2015). Interpreting musical taste through playlists. 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2015). Music for doing. 2015 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TS, USA (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2014). Measuring listeners’ emotionally expressive responses to music (pdf), Seventh International Conference of Students of Systematic Musicology, Goldsmiths University, London, UK (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2014) Listener respiration: Active, Attentive, or Inattentive. 13th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seoul, South Korea (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2014). Reframing emotions and music. 13th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seoul, South Korea (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2013). Body and breath entrainment in the solo response project. 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- Farbood, M. M. & Upham, F. (2013). Coordination in musical tension and liking ratings of scrambled music. 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2013). Publishing practices in music cognition: Replication studies and null results (Symposium on replication and null results), 2013 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Toronto, Canada. (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2013). How and when I feel: Coordination of continuous emotional responses from a single subject, 3rd International Conference on Music & Emotion, Jyväskulä, Finland. (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2012). Many ways of hearing: Clustering continuous responses to music. 12th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Thessaloniki, Greece. (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2012). Limits on the application of statistical correlations to continuous response data. 12th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Thessaloniki, Greece. (Poster)
- Upham, F. & McAdams, S. A. (2011). Piece vs Performance: Comparing Coordination of Audiences’ Physiological Responses to Two Performances of Arcadelt’s “Il bianco e dolce cigno”. 2011 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition, Rochester, NY. (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2010). Towards an Audience Model of Listening Experience (with McAdams, S.). 11th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, Seattle, WA. (Talk)
Regional meetings & workshops
- Upham, F. (2016). Breathing while listening to music. Music and Movement Workshop, New York University, New York NY, USA (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2016). Respiratory alignment to music in repeated response case studies. North-East Music Cognition Group meeting (NEMCOG), Harvard University, Cambridge MS, USA (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2013). Rocking out in a chair: Physiological signal processing to detect dancing activity in a seated listener. Third meeting on Cognitive Music Information Retrieval (CogMIR), Toronto, Canada. (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2013). Respiration entrainment to music and spoken word in a single participant. Centre for Research on the Brain, Language, and Music (CRBLM) Inaugural symposium on Music and Language, Montreal, Canada. (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2013). Danceability and Head-nodding as Measured by Detrended Fluctuation Analysis. Meeting of the Northeast Music Informatics Special Interest Group (NEMISIG), The Echonest, Boston, MA. (Talk)
- Upham, F. (2012). Online learning of Emotion Rating Changes using Musical Features as Experts. Second meeting on Cognitive Music Information Retrieval (CogMIR), Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada. (Poster)
- Upham, F. (2014). Breathing with: listener respiratory phase alignment with music. Queen Mary University, London, UK.
- Upham, F. (2013). Workshop: Activity Analysis for Continuous Responses to Music. McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
Published Software, Datasets, and Resources
- Activity Analysis Matlab toolbox (2017)
- Archive scraping Python script (2017)
- Repeated Responses to Music Case Studies Dataset (2017)
- Respiration belt analysis Matlab toolbox (2016)
- Solo Response Project blog (2013)
- Solo Response Project dataset (2013)
- PureData Music Listening Experiment Interface. (2014)
- Continuous Response Analysis Wiki (2011)
- Publicity and Publications Chair, 2019 Meeting of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition (SMPC)
- Student Board member of the Society of Music Perception and Cognition (SMPC) (2011-2012)
- Restructured and updated Society’s constitution
- Developed and ran first student-mentor matching program for 2011 Rochester meeting.
- Reviewer: Journal of New Music Research, International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval Conference (ISMR), Music and the Moving Image, Sound and Music Computing Conference.
- Lecture series coordinator for the Music and Audio Research Lab (MARL), NYU 2013-2016
- Scheduled lectures by visiting scholars, creating and decimating publicity materials
- Faculty of music representative to the Post Graduate Society’s Student (PGSS) 2011-2012
- Concurrently served on the PGSS’s governance committee, University’s Academic Policy and Planning committee, and advisory committee on student-administration communication.
- Vice President (University Affairs) of SSMU, Students’ Society of McGill University (2006-2007)
- Advocated for students on academic policy, including grading schemes, course evaluations, program reviews, academic integrity, and students’ rights.
- Coordinated undergraduate representation at level of university and lead caucus of 13 student senators in the university senate
- Collaborated with student leaders across Quebec and Canada to research policy options and lobby governments in the interest of post-secondary education.
- Computer Programming: MatLab, Python, LaTeX, PureData, C
- Psychological Response Methodologies:
- Behavioural: Time-continuous ratings, discrete ratings, multiple choice, short text responses.
- Psychophysiological: Skin conductance, Surface electromyography (sEMG) of facial muscles, Photoplethsmography for blood volume pulse, Respiratory inductance plethysmography.
- Interactive: Semi-structured interview.
- Recording skills: Audio recording and production for podcasting and audiobooks
- Some experience with: Video motion capture, Web programming, Natural language processing, Machine learning, Graphic design, Game design, Data visualization
- Instruments: Bassoon, Piano, Percussion (hand drums, auxiliary), Voice (choral: Soprano & Alto)
- Analytic skills: Harmonic analysis, Classical form, Schenckerian analysis, 12 tone set theory, Counterpoint, Audio signal processing
- Dance: Scottish Highland dancing (competitive), Urban dance styles, Argentinian tango, Burlesque
- Producer of the So Strangely Podcast on Recent Research in Music Science
- Contributing member of the Three Patch Podcast: participating in, recording, and producing audio segments of discussions, interviews, and comedy pieces for a monthly fandom podcast. (2015-2019)
- Audiobook narration and production (2013-2015)
- Volunteer Bike Mechanic and Collective member of The Flat, McGill University’s cooperative bike shop. (2009-2011)
email: finn (at) nyu.edu